Wednesday 1 April 2015

It's April fools. So I am very serious today.

I cannot remember when was the last blog any longer...

Thankfully, my Japanese cafe is getting busier...
Busier it gets, my careless mistakes happens more. Even I cannot hide it any more.

For example, it happened yesterday.

"I did not know such a nice Japanese cafe here! It's lovely"
It was a lovely comment from one of the customer.

Then after nice conversation with her, I finished off her order, Mix Katsu lunch, with a nice touch half bottle of sauce...

When I squeezed the bottle of Katsu sauce, the dispenser tip came off! Then the half-filled bottle became empty and Kasts were immersed by the sea of sauce.

I tried to make a new one immediately, but she maybe did not have time to wait for another one, so she asked me for some rice in a new box to go with and paid the full amount of money...

She was too nice.  I really hope it didn't cause her high blood pressure...

******************

Therefore, I am going to have a seriously serious day today, as I normally have really foolish days on 364 days a year. (Is this sentence English, by the way???)

******************

So, here is one thing I am seriously working for these few weeks.

There was a request on FB a few weeks ago.
"I cannot forget Nikuman I ate in Japan! Could you make it?"
So, I answered, "I will try to make it before Easter".
And I am now in trouble.

At first, I thought it just like steamed Usagi (Rabbit) cake. Yes, I underestimated the complication of its recipe.

The problem is the skin part. When I gather the ingredients, I was shocked.
I found "Strong flour" and "yeast", among the usual list of ingredients.

I have to say, I am really really not good at baking bread. I can bake cakes, I can make Japanese sweets. However, I have never succeeded baking bread ... Yes, any form of bread, which contains strong flour and yeast.

Here is the first attempt.


I used normal flour, but it came out really brown from my steamer.
As Rabbit cake is quite yellow using non-bleached flour, I expected a bit yellowish colour, but not as brown as this.
I checked on internet and found if the steamer temperature was too high, it come out  yellowish...So, I tried to put lower temperature next.

Here is the second attempt.

a bit lighter colour, but still very brown.
The first one was very light and fluffy texture, but this one came out with really heavy texture.

I still have the meet mixture, so I will try till I get it right. (and I don't know how many times I attempted by now.)

There is only a day left till the Easter.
Can I win?

******************

Aghhh! there is no time to write about April's sweets and plan before going to Cafe!
I will write another blog tonight... if I still have some energy.

2 comments:

  1. hope your cake worked out in the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JollyJilly! Awww.... Still not.
      My time has taken by every day preparation for the Cafe's foods and Wagashi almost all the time. To conquer this issue, I really cannot rush. Deep sigh...

      Delete