Friday 4 December 2015

A report of Japanese Afternoon Tea

Belated report of the Autumn Japanese Afternoon tea held on 20th November. Thank you so much for coming!!!

I had so much fun of making a lot of traditional Japanese sweets!
Yes, this is my first impression after the tea party.

Recently, an-an cafe became quite busy for preparing and serving lunch all time. It is good thing, but I sometimes want to push myself making more difficult Japanese sweets. So I made the afternoon event to push myself to make what I want to all the time.

I did  one session before the usual lunch service and 2 sessions after the lunch service. all the sessions were fully booked quite early.

The reason why this afternoon tea is so reasonable?
it's because you are the judge of my trials.
well, it's same as a trainee hairdresser do haircut cheaply to the cut models.
I need more practice... so please don't hesitate to tell me your honest thoughts!

Here are some photos I served this time.
Theme was "Autumn Harvests", using pumpkin, sweet potatoes and chestnuts!

the first dish, Autumn Tenpura (battered veges and Buckwheat noodles). Veses are from Organic farm, Namayasai. They were so tasty!





second dishes


Chestnuts paste, Steamed sweets "kimishigure", Sweet potato & apple pie, Chestnuts Mochi

third dishes


Jounamagashi "chrysanthemum"、Squares "Pumpkin & Azuki beans

*************

there were so many point I need to review.

1. I should have taken more time to prepare. Believe me, I was so busy!
This event should have happened earlier, but I could not make enough time to make all the sweets.
I managed to do this before winter... in fact, it snowed on the next day...

2. I am not professional... making Tempura...
next afternoon tea, I won't try Tempura any longer...

3. Sweet potato & apple pie was not very Japanese?
I was going to make something more like Japanese traditional sweets using something else but tartlett. However, I could not make rice wafer in the end. Some guest told me it was too British.

4. at last, about, "chrysanthemum".


When I visited my long term online Wagashi teacher first time in this summer holiday, he told me how to. I needed to practice, but I just didn't have time to make such a time consuming sweets...

So I pushed myself to make time to practice this sweets. Acctualy, I could say this afternoon event is for me to making this sweets. Still not very good, but... Thanks all who ate this sweets! I am so proud! But it has never reached to the level I ant to!!! I just need to practice.

***********

I am getting ready for New Year's special packed lunch box from now on.
After the New Year, i am planning another tea party.

Please keep checking this blog if you are interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment