Friday 18 February 2022

Visit to Dojima Sake Brewery (part 1)

  On a cold day before the Christmas holidays, a thought popped into my head...



"I want to eat Kasu soup!"





I read in a Japanese article a long time ago that a Japanese sake brewery had opened in Cambridge, and if they make sake, they must have sake lees! And quite a lot of it...

I was born and grown up in a hometown not too far from the eastern part of Kobe, where are many large sake breweries, so sake lees have been quite familiar to me. And soon after I thought about the sake Kasu (lees) soup, I have a ridiculous craving for sake-kasu steamed cake.

First of all, we inquired whether they sell sake lees.

It's not easy to get any short holiday " I knew it's short notice, but can I come and buy some sake lees during the Christmas holidays?" I asked, and they kindly said that I could come.

Then my son got sick, and I thought it might be COVID... so I gave up the visit during the Christmas holiday, as it got too busy for preparing the New Year's Osechi. (It wasn't COVID after all, just a cold💦 so No one else in my family fell ill...).

At the same time, the brewery posted me 1kg of sake lees and the invitation for the private viewing of the woodblock print exhibition in February. (Thanks for her kindness. I really appreciate it!!)

The sake lees I received was very beautiful! I mean, the sakekasu I know is in the form of a very hard plate, but the sakekasu from Dojima brewery contains so much sake in it that I thought I could still squeeze sake out!

Using this, we devised a recipe, adjusting the various flours and steaming times. The result was a delicious steamed cake.










And with this, we visited them the other day on the 12th of February for the event of the print exhibition.

To be continue to part 2.

ー---

This is the link to Dojima Sake Brewery website.

Dojima Sake Brewery logo

You can order their Sake leese by mail.

Dojima sake brewery

No comments:

Post a Comment