Monday 28 November 2016

Birmingham business trip report (BBC Good Food Show part1)

Well, this is my business trip to find the tendency of food these days.
And I wondered if I could see some of the celebrity TV chefs in real....

It has been a dream of mine to go to one of BBC Good Food Show for a long time. It is held every year at Birmingham NEC, and Birmingham was one of the place I wanted to visit for long time.

That's the reason why I chose Birmingham.

**********************

Thursday 24th November
Night cafe business as usual, but not so busy.
Closed at 8 pm and locked up at 9 pm. I caught the earlier train than I planed.

Friday 25th November

Night coach leaving at 0:30 from Victoria Coach Station. I was really surprised so many people are still around.
While I was waiting, I had a light night meal. A large salad with boiled eggs and smoked salmon. Still no-carbo diet carries on.

0:30 Coach leaving from London Victoria. Heavy traffic.... London is really a sleepless city..
03:50 Birmingham Central Coach Station.
04:30 Leaving for Birmingham Airport and arrived just before 05:00.

Wow! Cafe Nero was open!!! ...and I found a electric sockets under seats.
I got a large Chai Latte and charging phone (as I need to take a lot photos during the show later) and myself (with a bit of sugar).

I had a booking at the hotel right in front of the airport. I cannot deny I had a bit of expectation if there is any room already checked out and I am allowed to have a short rest...

7:00 am No chance of having a rest at the hotel. I was told "please come back after 2pm for check in." when I asked to look after my suitcase at the reception. The receptionist was really nice, so it's ok.

The hotel was a bit expensive to stay by myself, as I stayed at the family room. But so convenient to go and come back from NEC. The airport and NEC are connected by free air-rail link, which run frequently all day.

So, here comes my first visit to NEC.
I knew it is really, really large place. But it was larger than what I imagined.
After I went through the sign of
"Welcome to NEC"
I easily carry on walking for 15 min with an aid of moving corridor.

I have to mention that BBC The Good Food Show was not the only exhibition occupies NEC during the weekend. There were several shows and exhibitions are held...

When I see the BBC The Good Food Show signs, there were so many securities in smart black suits.
This overwhelming excitement... I felt that ages ago...  In Japan... ??? ahhhh! It was just like the Comic Markets over 25 years ago!!!!

It was still 1 hour before the opening time, I bought a cup of tea and settled down. Then I started to write a letter to go with a box of sweets. To who? Of course, this is one of my mission this time to see Mr. James Martin and ask him to try my sweets!

When I joined the crowd 15 min to the opening time, I managed to buy the event booklet to check. There were many stages everywhere in the floor. To follow James, I need to go from edge to edge in short space of time...

at 9 am, opened the gate with the announcement. Yes, it was laaaaarge.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment