Monday 28 November 2016

Birmingham business trip report (BBC Good Food Show part 2)


The first demo of James starts from 10am, so I had a chance to look around the place a bit. yes, "a bit",  just a part of it. Then I found the book stall to buy his book for book signing.

I bought his book (it was heavy, though...) and moved to the stage for James's cooking demo, which I paid in advance.

The seat was numbered and my number was 299 out of 310... a bit of disappointment.
However, the lady who sat at seat 300 was really nice! She apparently come to the show almost every time (twice annually) to see James. While we were waiting for James's appearance, we chat about him so much, such as James is Godfather of Paul Hollywood's daughter, so Paul sometimes comes up in James's stages... I was going to see Paul later on at the Supertheatre... This information made my day even more interesting!

With Miss Lotte Duncan's host, James appeared.

His line-ups are beer-battered onion rings on stakes, squid in Panko (Japanese breadcrumb) with Yuzu (Japanese citrus fruit, which now grown in York?) mayonnaise, and Ginger and vanilla cheese cake with strawberry sauce.

Helping hand of an accident of food processor didn't work smoothly, the demo was really enjoyable and funny (sorry). In the middle, I felt apart of the cooking as some of leftover ginger bread, which was used for the cheesecake, passed around to taste. ww

As soon as his demo is done, next destination was "Audience with James Martin" on the stage located right opposite end of the floor... The lady on no.300 saw me off with "Good Luck!"

After running 200m dealing with crowds, I found a seat second row from front on the right side of the stage. lucky! Deep breath, I needed to calm down a bit.
The interviewer came out and introduced James. He was not so far away! Just there in... 2-3 meter away...


After talk, there was Q&A sessions. I did! I was given a microphone to question! Here is the detail.

Me "Hello, Excuse my English (if It was hard to understand...)"
James   "Ah, don't worry, that's I always say."
Audience laugh.
Me "I enjoy and look forward to seeing your new recipes all the time. You use Japanese ingredients quite often for your cooking. Have you ever thought about using Japanese ingredients for your sweets and desserts?"
James   "Well, I like the concept of Yin and Yang in cooking, so I use Japanese ingredients often. When I find something interesting, I tend to stick to it and I start thinking about using in several recipes. But I haven't thought about using Japanese ingredients in sweets... Do they go with sweets? For example...like bread pudding or... "
Microphone was gone by then, so I nodded a few time.
James  "Really? hummm..."
Me  " Can I challenge you for the next sweets book?"
James  "Ha Ha, ok..."

Then, move to the next question...

As the next question was answered Paul Hollywood jumped into the stage and said "What are you doing here today?"
The interviewer was a bit muddled with unexpected guest. Paul sat down at the chair and started a special talk between James and Paul about some old memories when they started meeting up and showing off about their expensive cars.
It extended a bit and finished with digging in each other's appearance in other TV channels apart from BBC.

It's rush to the Supertheatre following Paul then (leaving James for a while.)

Supertheatre was too big, so It was a cooking demo, but I couldn't see what he was doing at all without the backdrop screen... however, it was a bit of Panto going on and the cameraman, who supposed to film what Paul doing in close up view, was almost part of the show. 80% of the time, the camera was showing something else but Paul's hands. www

After the Paul's show, I pop into toilet to make my self ready, and joined the queue of Book signing.  I sweated again, and moreover, I just remembered I didn't have a bath for two days as I came directly fro the night coach!!!  I must have been very smelly!!!

But I didn't have time to do anything then. My tern was coming so fast...

Me  "Hello, I wonder if you remember that I asked about Japanese ingredients in the Lakeland stage..."
James "Yes, I remember you. Haha"
Me  "Thank you. Here is a follow up story here..."
James "What?" 
Me "I do a business of making traditional Japanese sweets and I wonder if you could try some of Japanese sweets..."
James "So you have got some sweets with Japanese ingredients?"
Me "Yes. But it's not British style. Japanese sweets...If you could get something out of it... don't worry, I have got 5 in Hygiene rate."
James "Wow, thank you. I will try it on the way home today."
Me  "Thank you. I look forward to your beautiful recipe more!"

Then, he held my shoulder (neck?) and posing💛
(wow, wow, wow, I am so smelly...)

So the biggest mission was completed, but I realized a very rude mistake later on. (# ゚Д゚)
Finally, calm down and started to look around to find something to eat. There were few sausage stalls and hog roast stalls...

As soon as some of sugar went to my brain, I remembered.

I put wrong name in the letter I attached to the sweet. orz

I was going to put "Dear Mr. James Martin", but what I put was... "Dear Martin"
I found him doing the last cooking demo at the stage, so I started writing a note with apology. As I saw some one who was going to the back stage, I called her to ask to pass the note...
And She was Lotte Duncan!!!!
AAAAGH!
I hesitated for a few moment, but I said
"I am so sorry to ask you this. But could you please pass this message to James? this is apology from me earlier when I met him..."
She smiled and took the note and "OK-!"
What a nice lady! Her recipe is a bit too sweet and rich, but I love her so much.

Well, I don't know what happen to the note, but no way to find.
I didn't know if he read the note or tried my sweet...
But  what I know is I didn't kill him with my sweet as he posted on Facebook yesterday.

If he uses some Japanese ingredients on his sweet recipes on his book, you may know what happened.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. 출장

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…Mortgage note buyer

    ReplyDelete