Thursday 9 November 2017

November Sweets and Events Part I

It started really busy eventful week... It's been 10 days already!!!
Started with the Vegan Day and a big Wagashi Sale in Croydon Japanese School.
Yesterday was the "Ino Hi 亥の日". This is the day to eat Ino ko Mochi... Baby Boar Mochi.

In old Japanese calendar, 1st of October was the day start using a fire place for the tea ceremony in traditional tea hut. This sweets are served for this occasion at the 10 O'clock (called time of boar in old time) in the evening on the 1st of October.  The calendar was changed to the current practice, so the old 1st October moved to sometime in November. Therefore this sweet is still now eaten around this time of year. (That's my translation from what I read from Wiki in Japanese...)

This was my first challenge to make the Inoko Mochi for the Vegan afternoon tea on the other day. This was very popular! Adzuki bean paste, Mochi and Roasted Soy Bean flour... That's the best, I guess. Everyone's favorite. Moreover, the shape looks like a baby wild boar is cute🐗!

I will carry on making this sweets for a while. Please try!

Here is some feedback about the afternoon tea on 1st November.
It was no Japanese Afternoon Tea for a while, so some of you were waiting for it. Thankfully, the first two sessions were fully booked.

It was quite a challenge as I need to make every plates without anything made or related to animal nor fish. I checked and read so much about "Kaiseki Ryori" and "Shojin Ryori". Then I used Organic ingredients as much as possible.

I learnt so much, though....

At first, I served Soy milk and Pumpkin soup.
Then Rotus roots and Tofu cakes in sauce, and Chestnuts rice and Aubergine's Dengaku (sweet miso).







Aubergine and pumpkin is from Namayasai, Lewes's Organic Japanese farm. They are small, but really flavorful! I didn't need to put so much salt nor soy sauce.



The second plate is celebrating the "13th moon night". It's called chestnuts beauty moon.
We believe a rabbit live on the moon, and Dango represents the moon. Chestnuts steamed cake and pumpkin square filled up stomach a lot, I guess.





The third plate is with Nerikiri "Autumn Maple Leaf - Momiji" and "Inoko Mochi"
This Momiji is also my challenge this time.
You could see the shape improved so much even while I was making 20 of these while I was serving this sweets.

Thank you so much for those who came to the Japanese Afternoon tea. I am so happy as you smiled while you were eating my sweets. That's the best compliment for me!

If you missed this time, please try next one.... planned at the end of January in 2018... maybe...

Wow, It's time to go to the cafe!
I will do the next a bit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment