Saturday 24 August 2013

Well, it was a bit unexpected result

I have just come back from Shoreham Artisan Market.

*************

It was a bit of lucky and unlucky.
lucky... the first market was in the middle of the annual Adur River Festival.
Unlucky... Weather was unbelievably BAD.

Other repeat shop owners were very sympathetic to me.
"Good day, yea?"

I just thought, may be it'll be ok.

and... then...




There is a idiom "cats and dog" for a very hard rain.
But, it was more than that. It was more like...as if the marquee was under a fall.
Just one moment you go out, and you are soaked.

I could see Adur River through the entrance. The surface of river was almost there to the top... only spearing less than a foot. So scary!

However, inside of Marquee was lovely atmosphere as we had nice bands playing all day long.

The first band...Jazz
Very nice, but very wet, too.

 The second band...the Pirates!!!
Cool!
I found they hide a gun in the pocket of accordion.

Good singing, funny and cheerful.
Apparently, they are quite famous among the locals.

Third band was a duo of amazing gentlemen. They played anything and anything.
Guitars, violins, a Lute, an accordion and flutes...
They also played Swedish Fork music instrument, nyckelharpa. It has 12 strings as well as keys. It looks like a really long violin. With left hand he hit keys on its neck, and with right hand he play with a bow as an ordinary violin. it sounded like...harpsichord.

I forgot to take photo.... :(

There was a dry spell above us for 3 hours. During that short while some people tasted my strange sweets as well as my Kasutera (Japanese style sponge cakes). My old friend came to say hi and surprised each other  to see our kids grown so much!

There is some thing unexpected findings. I was thinking may be because people are not familiar with the texture of Wagashi, so I made some Wagashi whose texture were somehow similar to Western cakes. Castella (Half baked, half steamed sponge cake. It was influence from Portugal in 16 century. The name come from the area in Spain.) and donuts in Japanese Green tea flavor.(here is the link to wiki=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castella)

Today's most sale come from Mochi. People are not so fund of Green tea flavor...maybe.

Next weekend is off. Instead, I need to look over my son's homework. I don't want to think about the amount he needs to deal with in this 1 week...

No comments:

Post a Comment